Sunday, July 31, 2022

Eureka Moment! Oneg!



I was casting around for a good translation of Oneg, ענג,
when all of a sudden it struck me...

I should have realized this years ago, and maybe you did,
but it only hit me this past Friday:

Oneg and enjoy are the same word!

The ע, נ, ג of Oneg are the same as the E, N, J of Enjoy!

Which captures precisely the difference between happiness as in Simchas Yom Tov, and enjoyment, as in Oneg Shabbos!

And it took me this long to realize it! Let me know in the comments if for you this was a davar pashut or a chiddush.

9 comments:

  1. Chidush - makes sense though. :) I recall that there are a few words that have their source in Hebrew. I wonder how many more there are like that - which should be obvious but aren't for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone suggested a correlation between mouse and מאוס. :-)

      Delete
  2. Fun idea, but likely a coincidence. Just a take a look at the etymology.
    https://www.etymonline.com/word/enjoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh. I thought you meant something else. Good then. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you find meaning in this. Personally, I don't see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that there is an etymological connection between the ע, נ, ג of Oneg and the E, N, J of Enjoy
      as a translation or definition, it's fine
      but it seemed you were implying more of a connection
      perhaps I misunderstood your intent?

      Delete
    2. I don't say there is an intrinsic connection. But it happens to be that the meanings of the words are synonymous.

      Delete