I saw in the comments there someone quoting the Ben Ish Hai in רב פעלים regarding bicycles. It's well-known that the Ben Ish Hai retracted his heter later in life.
Well known by whom? I am skeptical of all such assertions, especially once I saw it asserted that the Chazon Ish retracted his psak on the International Dateline on his deathbed...
I like the Yaskil Avdi, but I am unimpressed with his argument here about the tires deflating. And I am also unimpressed with the very vague assertion that he changed his mind. However, I am not convinced that the Rav Pe'alim was talking about a bicycle with a chain mechanism in any event. We don't know the nature of the contraption called a gharry that he is discussing, especially since a gharry normally connotes a horse-drawn carriage and here it clearly does not). It could be that what he permitted was something more like a penny-farthing or an adult scooter. Unlike the Yaskil Avdi, he does not use the word bicycle.
18:45 כל כלי תחבורה זה עובדין דחול. שבו איש תחתיו אל יצא איש ממקומו זה הרוח של שבת קודש. לכן צדקו אלה שאסרו אופניים בשבת. אבל קורקינט (scooter) רבנים רבים יצאו נגד זה. דעתי נוטה יותר שאין ראוי להשתמש בקורקינט בשבת.
33:53 אבל רקשה (pedicab) עם נהג אינו יהודי חושב שזה מותר לכתחילה. אין עובדין דחול בדבר שרק עושים בשבת. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycle_rickshaw
18:45 כל כלי תחבורה זה עובדין דחול. שבו איש תחתיו אל יצא איש ממקומו זה הרוח של שבת קודש. לכן צדקו אלה שאסרו אופניים בשבת. קורקינט רבנים רבים יצאו נגד זה. דעתי נוטה יותר שאין ראוי להשתמש בקורקינט בשבת. 33:53 אבל רקשה עם נהג אינו יהודי חושב שזה מותר לכתחילה. אין עובדין דחול בדבר שרק עושים בשבת. רק משתמשים ברקשה בשבת בארה״ב כשצריכים ללכת רחוק לבית הכנסת, לבקר אנשים וכו׳. בחול אין צורך, נוסעים ברכב. רקשה pedicab קורקינט scooter
תחבורה זה עובדא דחול. אבל לא מדובר על תחבורה. תחבורה זה אוטובוס או רכבת וזה אוושא מילתא. זה לא שייך לקורקינט וגם באופניים אני מסופק. דעתי נוטה לאסור אופניים ע"ד החזו"א לגבי מטריות. אבל לא נראה כן בקורקינט שבודאי עדיף מרקשה. והרוצה להחמיר מספק עובדא דחול ייחד קורקינט לשבת. אך כ"ז תלוי באופי הקהילה המקומית ונהרא נהרא ופשטיה.
I saw in the comments there someone quoting the Ben Ish Hai in רב פעלים regarding bicycles. It's well-known that the Ben Ish Hai retracted his heter later in life.
ReplyDeleteWell known by whom? I am skeptical of all such assertions, especially once I saw it asserted that the Chazon Ish retracted his psak on the International Dateline on his deathbed...
Deletehttps://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=961&st=&pgnum=52 The last 3 lines of the first paragraph on the page.
DeleteI like the Yaskil Avdi, but I am unimpressed with his argument here about the tires deflating. And I am also unimpressed with the very vague assertion that he changed his mind. However, I am not convinced that the Rav Pe'alim was talking about a bicycle with a chain mechanism in any event. We don't know the nature of the contraption called a gharry that he is discussing, especially since a gharry normally connotes a horse-drawn carriage and here it clearly does not). It could be that what he permitted was something more like a penny-farthing or an adult scooter. Unlike the Yaskil Avdi, he does not use the word bicycle.
DeleteIt was me.
Deletehttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1V0YymAau8VIzn10fD00v6d_17M5YqC8KgkWbz6x9UbU/edit?tab=t.0#heading=h.3sk0mw95lzev
Thank you. Shared the link on FB, where the conversation continues...
Delete
ReplyDeleteהרב אשר וייס שליט״א מנחת אשר עובדין דחול
18:45 כל כלי תחבורה זה עובדין דחול. שבו איש תחתיו אל יצא איש ממקומו זה הרוח של שבת קודש. לכן צדקו אלה שאסרו אופניים בשבת. אבל קורקינט (scooter) רבנים רבים יצאו נגד זה. דעתי נוטה יותר שאין ראוי להשתמש בקורקינט בשבת.
33:53 אבל רקשה (pedicab) עם נהג אינו יהודי חושב שזה מותר לכתחילה. אין עובדין דחול בדבר שרק עושים בשבת.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycle_rickshaw
sorry bad formatting. resending
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteהרב אשר וייס שליט״א מנחת אשר עובדין דחול
18:45 כל כלי תחבורה זה עובדין דחול. שבו איש תחתיו אל יצא איש ממקומו זה הרוח של שבת קודש. לכן צדקו אלה שאסרו אופניים בשבת. קורקינט רבנים רבים יצאו נגד זה. דעתי נוטה יותר שאין ראוי להשתמש בקורקינט בשבת.
33:53 אבל רקשה עם נהג אינו יהודי חושב שזה מותר לכתחילה. אין עובדין דחול בדבר שרק עושים בשבת. רק משתמשים ברקשה בשבת בארה״ב כשצריכים ללכת רחוק לבית הכנסת, לבקר אנשים וכו׳. בחול אין צורך, נוסעים ברכב.
רקשה pedicab
קורקינט scooter
תחבורה זה עובדא דחול. אבל לא מדובר על תחבורה. תחבורה זה אוטובוס או רכבת וזה אוושא מילתא. זה לא שייך לקורקינט וגם באופניים אני מסופק. דעתי נוטה לאסור אופניים ע"ד החזו"א לגבי מטריות. אבל לא נראה כן בקורקינט שבודאי עדיף מרקשה. והרוצה להחמיר מספק עובדא דחול ייחד קורקינט לשבת. אך כ"ז תלוי באופי הקהילה המקומית ונהרא נהרא ופשטיה.
Delete