Thursday, August 31, 2023

A Newly Discovered Picture of Rabbi Avrohom Eliyahu Kaplan zt"l, and you won't believe where it was...

... it had been staring me in the face for years! My cousin, Rabbi Moshe Daniel Schochet, digitized and shared our grandfather, Rabbi Dov Yehuda Schochet zt"l's photo collections. In one of the collections, there were pictures of, as he named the folder, "Relatives, Unknown, and Random Events."

I was asked yesterday by a family member to comment on some pictures for a report on our grandmother, Rebbitzen Sarah Schochet a"h. So I was looking through the files that Reb Moshe Daniel had put together so meticulously, when one of the pictures struck me and made me very excited. Yes, it was a picture of one of my heroes, Reb Avrohom Eliyahu Kaplan zt"l. What made me even more excited and happy is that this picture (which, judging from the look, must have been taken in Telshe during the World War I years) was confirmation that (as my great aunt Leah Holzberg a"h had told me many years ago) Reb Avrohom Elya was one of our grandfather's (and our great aunt's) heroes as well. The admiration for Reb Avrohom Elya has a long history in our family! This is the picture. As you can see, it is a younger version of the famous picture. Rabbi Eliyahu Kaplan shlita, Reb Avrohom Elya's grandson, confirmed that this was indeed a picture of his grandfather, hitherto unknown.





No comments:

Post a Comment