Friday, May 05, 2023

What makes it all worthwhile

There are many challenges and difficulties involved in Chinuch. And, personally, when things are difficult, I wonder why Hashem didn't make me a Rosh Yeshiva as per my youthful aspirations. From time to time, a talmid or talmidah reaches out and reminds you why Hashem placed you where He placed you at a certain time and place. This note, which came a few minutes ago, is such a reminder...

May 5

Hi Rabbi Bechhofer,

I don’t know if you remember me, but I was your student at your stint teaching at Kushner in the mid-2000’s.

In March of 2005 you encouraged me to do something I never would have thought of doing on my own, to learn Daf Yomi for 1 Mesechet and make a Siyum. I did just that.

That experience of learning Gemara and making a Siyum planted a seed. That seed sprouted into the desire to learn in a good Yeshiva, and ultimately blossomed into a goal. The goal to finish Shas.

I want to let you know that after 18 years, I will be making a Siyum Hashas on May 24th, if you are in Israel for some reason you are invited to come.

I want to express my sincere gratitude to you. I am firmly convinced that my entire life would look different had you not pushed me to learn Mesechet Brachot 18 years ago. You gave me the gift of learning Gemara, the gift of Torah, which lit something inside me leading me down the path I find myself today – Living in Israel, married with 4 sons who are going to see their father, a man who works full time, make a Siyum Hashas.

I don’t imagine you are looking for credit but I think you deserve some. So know that a simple act of Chinuch, one which you probably forgot about has made a big difference in my life and ultimately facilitated a Siyum Hashas.

Thank you!

5 comments:

  1. Bravo!

    Ramban, Bereshis 37:15

    כי זמן לו הקב"ה מורה דרך ... ולזה נתכוונו רבותינו (ב"ר פד יד) באמרם כי האישים האלה הם מלאכים
    A teacher of mine quoted that about how a teacher of his said just the right thing, at just the right time, which significantly changed his life for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add me to the list. You told me to finish Sukkah over Tishrei in 11th grade, 13 years ago. Second siyum iyH within the next year.

    ReplyDelete